This is for the second year in a row; airline experts have marked Air New Zealand as the world’s best airline. They have titled it a “textbook case” of what airlines need to be like today.
The editorial team at AirlineRatings praised the carrier for its record of operational safety and in-flight innovations, particularly for its Skycouch seating arrangement which can transform three economy seats into a couch. This innovative style of seating became an instant hit among couples or families with a young child.
Experts also lauded the air carrier for its latest fleet, efforts on becoming good to the environment and keeping its staff motivated.
“Air New Zealand is an airline of first choice and given the airline’s location and the country’s size, its performance is extraordinary.” said Airlineratings.com’s editor-in-chief Geoffrey Thomas.
The Air New Zealand has managed its way to the top tier of the industry. It is considered to be 50th in size in global rankings and is certainly the most awarded till date.
The airline rose to prominence in in-flight safety videos and became trendsetter when it enlisted orcs, hobbits and elves to demonstrate how to don oxygen masks in 2012.
The company also won Best Premium Economy Class. Here are highlights of the winners of the Airline Excellence Awards 2015:
- Best First Class: Etihad Airways
- Best Business Class: Cathay Pacific Airways
- Best Economy: Thai Airways
- Best Lounges, Best Catering, Best Domestic Service: Qantas
- Best In-Flight Entertainment: Emirates
- Best New World Carrier, Best Cabin Crew: Virgin Australia
- Best Long Haul Airline: Etihad (Middle East/Africa), Eva Air (Asia/Pacific), Lufthansa (Europe) and Lan Chile (The Americas)
- Best Low Cost Airline: jetBlue (The Americas), Scoot (Asia/Pacific), Kulula (Middle-East/Africa) and Norwegian (Europe)